Artist: Lawrie, Lee Oskar & Goodhue, Bertram Grosvernor
Title: "Memorial Flagpole"
Location: Northeast corner of Colorado and Orange Grove, Pasadena (original location: Gateway to Pasadena)
Date of Manufacture: 1924-1926
Date of Installation: February 12, 1927/ moved to present location June 3, 1948
Foundry or Fabrication: John Polachek Bronze & Iron Co., Inc., Long Island City, N.Y.
Dimensions: Pole: H: 115' x W: 6' x D: 6'; Base: H: 6' x W: 8' x D: 8'
Inscriptions: BERTRAM GROSVERNOR GOODHUE ARCHITECT/LEE LAWRIE SCULPTOR MCMXXIV-VI CAST BY HOJN POLACHEK BRONZE & IRON Co. INC./ Long Island City, N.Y. Base: IN PROUD REMEMBERANCE OF OUR GLORIOUS DEAD MCMXVIII Sculpture: YPRES/LYS/ SAINT/MIHIEL/MEUSE/ARGONNE/VITTORS/VENETO/CHAMPAGNE/MANE/...GNE/...RNE/SOMME/OFFENSIVE/OISE/AISNE
Siting: The monument is located near the sidewalk of a busy intersection, at Colorado & Orange Grove Blvds. It is approximately 50' from traffic. It is exposed to carbon soot and other acidic pollutants in the Pasadena air. There is grass and overgrown trees approximaely 10' away, including a tall eucalyptus tree with branches that should be periodically trimmed. It could nto be determined during this inspection whether adjacent aprinkler spray water on the granite or bronze. The bottom section of the flagpole is easily accessible to the public. Birds frequently roost on the eagle on top of the flagpole.
Description: The War Memorial Flagstaff was designed by architect Bertram Goodhue and executed by sculptor Lee Oscar Lawrie. From bottom to top, it consists of a three-tiered circular granite base, a bronze relief, a bronze band with an inscription with names of battles (see above), a bronze sip, a bronze fasces (bundle of rods) bearing arrows and coats-of-arms, and a copper clad flag pole surmounted with a bronze eagle. The bronze relief depicts eight seven-foot tall figures: 2 soldiers, an army oficer, 2 sailors, an aviator, and a red cross nurse. The monument is dedicated to the veterans of World War I.
The base is composed of carved sections of California Granite, mortared at the joints. An inspcription is incised around the top tier see above). The cas bronze sections of the relief, the ship and the fasces are bolted in place with bronze bolts to an interior (reinforced concrete?) substrate. The pole itself weighs 4 tons and is composed of steel overlaid with teakwood and clad in copper (from Cultural Heritage Landmark Application p.1). The eagle at the top of the pole is cast bronze. It weighs 135 lbs. (from Pasadena Heritage, volx #2&3, 1987, pp 9-10).