Do You Remember?

Joyce Dallal, 2005. Fairfax Branch Library, Gardner north of 3rd, Los Angeles. Mural and window design incorporating memories collected from patrons of the Fairfax Branch Library. Photographs used in this work are in the collection of the Los Angeles Public Library. The following is text from the plaque accompanying Dallal's work. The plaque also contains some historic photographs.

"View of small La Brea tar pit and the Hancock oil field with oil derricks stretching across the land, c. 1910. The mural image and window drawings are based on this photograph of the local neighborhood in the early twentieth century.
Rogers Airport, July 9, 1922. Rogers Airport was located on the north-west corner of Wilshire and Fairfax. It opened in 1918 and had a single 1800' east/west dirt runway. The airport was closed sometime between 1932 and 1940.
Pan Pacific Auditorium, c. 1935, photographed by Julius Shulman. Pan Pacific auditorium was designed by architects Wurdeman and Becket and opened on May 18, 1935. It was located at 7600 West Beverly Blvd. near Gardner Street, and was considered to be one of America's finest examples of Streamline Moderne architecture. It was the site of sporting events, political rallies, car shows, and televised shows such as "Queen for a Day." Elvis Presley performed there in 1957, and then Vice-president Richard Nixon spoke there in 1960. It closed in 1972 and stood empty until it was damaged by a fire in 1989 and then demolished in 1992.
Gilmore Field, March 12, 1951. The AP photo caption for this image reads: "Major League All-Stars managed by Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker clashed at Gilmore Field, with the big-leaguers beating the Hollywood Stars, 4-3, for charity. Fans thrilled to Gus Zernial's two homers." Gilmore Field was located at 7700 Beverly Blvd. next to where CBS now stands. It was constructed in 1938 by E. B. Gilmore to accommodate the Hollywood Stars, a minor league professional baseball team owned by Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, and Cecil B. DeMille. The last game was played there on September 5, 1957 and the stadium was razed in 1958."

Details of Joyce Dallal's mural and windows:


Back to Public Art and Sculptures in Greater Los Angeles