Union Station

Alameda Street.

Union Station, Los Angeles.

Built by John and Donald Parkinson (who also designed City Hall and Bullock's Wilshire) in1939, mixes two architectural styles, Spanish Colonial Revival and Art Deco. The floor plan is a cross, like in a cathedral. The building has outdoor waiting rooms with beautifully tiled fountains and seats. There is no echo inside the building - the walls are lined with cork. Catellus Development Corporation owns the Station and its land. The old China Town occupied the area on which Union Station was built. Text from a historic plaque: "Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal 1939-1989. Constructed by the southern Pacific Santa Fe, and Union Pacific Railroads. Opened on May 7, 1939, it was considered to be the most impressive railroad station of its type in the entire West. In its heyday the terminal covered 52 acres, employed 1,100 persons, served 56 trains per day, and handled 23 million sacks of mail annually. Through the portals of this historic edifice have passed the great and near great oft the world. Dedicated on May 7, 1989 by Platrix Chapter no. 2, E Clampus Vitus."

Facade:

Ceiling:
Interior of main waiting area:

Outdoor waiting area:

Fountain:
View of the old ticket hall:

View of north courtyard/waiting area:

Fountain between Union Station and the Metropolitan Water District building to its north:
View of the Harvey House Restaurant, interior design by Mary Coulter:

Tile work inside the Harvey House Restaurant:


Back to Union Station and El Pueblo page