Text from plaque:
1978. The small plaza includes the replica of the Bell of Dolores, commemorating Mexican independence from Spain, a mural by Eduardo Carillo called Father Hidalgo in Front of the Church of Dolores, and a plaque dedicated to the memory of members of the Uto-Aztecan linguistic family and descendants of the Shoshone tribe.
On May 5, 1979, the president of the United States, Jimmy Carter, participated in the dedication of the Placita. The following part of his speech comes from a commemorative plaque: "...Freedom is never permanently ours, despite the noble sacrifices of past generations. We must daily re-win the night against injustice and prejudice and ignorance, and against those in power who believe they know better than the people what is best..."
This replica of the "Bell of Dolores" was presented to the City of Los Angeles by the Republic of Mexico in 1968. This cherished relic of Mexican history represents not only Mexico's bid for freedom, but also the beginning of democracy here in California. This bid for freedom began not in Mexico City, but in the little village of Dolores. And it was here that Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla was assigned as parish priest, where he became active in politics and sided with the less fortunate of Mexican society. On the night of September 15, 1810, at 11 p.m., Father Hidalgo rang the parish church bell, now known as the "Bell of Dolores" to summon patriots to fight for their independence from Spain. Every year on September 15, the President of Mexico tolls the original "Bell of Dolores" now hung at the National Palace in Mexico City, and cries out "Viva la independencia...Viva America...", Father Hidalgo's call to arms beginning the Mexican War of Independence.Photograph taken in 1999: