Eduardo Carrillo (1937- ) was born in Santa Monica. After receiving an M.A. in 1964 from UCLA, where he studied with Stanton MacDonald-Wright and William Brice, he lived in Mexico and learned to use ceramics and tile. During the 1960's Carrillo was associated with the Ceeje Gallery, one of the first galleries in Los Angeles that promoted post-modern art, and was one of four artists commissioned to paint "Chicano History" in Campbell Hall at UCLA. Before assuming his present position on the faculty of UC Santa Cruz in 1972, he taught at California State University, Sacramento, and at UC San Diego Extension. His gallery work has been exhibited in many solo shows, including a retrospective at the Crocker Museum in Sacramento in 1986. Among the numerous group shows he has been in are the national exhibitions "Chicano Art: Resistence and Affirmation" (1990-1991) and "The Latin American Spirit: Art and Artists in the United States, 1920-1970" (1990).
The text has been provided courtesy of Michael Several, Los Angeles, March 1999.
Back to Union Station and El Pueblo