El Pueblo/Olvera Street, Los Angeles.
The marker reads: Site of Campo Santo, 1826-44. Prior to the construction of the Plaza Catholic Church, pueblo residents were buried at Mission San Gabriel. Some burials, however, took place here at the church even before 1826 when the first resident priest arrived and it began its own official burial registry. The Campo Santo (consecrated ground) was the first cemetery in Los Angeles. The burial register lists over 650 interments between 1826 and 1844, when a new burial ground, Calvary Cemetery, was established north of here on Eternity Street (now North Broadway). The contents of the graves in the Campo Santo were moved to Calvary at that time.
To: Union Station and El Pueblo
Photo taken by Ruth Wallach, February 2006