Statue by Clarence Addison Shaler. Received in 1942 by the University as a gift from Nelli Art Studios of Los Angeles (3450 Union Pacific Ave.), donated by the sculptor's daughter, Marian Shaler Hanish.
For decades, Shaler's work was displayed in the Doheny Library's courtyard. It may have been removed in the early 1960s during the Doheny expansion project and put behind the Physical Plant building. In 1979, residents at Touton Hall kidnapped the statue; later it was returned and stored in the East building. In 1993, the statue was transferred to the city of Waupun, Wisconsin.
Ruth Wallach, USC Libraries