Evolution of Printing and Evolution of Los Angeles
by Tony Sheets, 1988-1989
Evolution of Printing: this is a relief mural on the Spring side of the Los Angeles Times parking structure. (Spring and 2nd Street)
The mural includes following statements:
- "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..." First Amendment, U.S. Constitution.
- "The freedom of the press is one of the great bulwarks of liberty..." George Mason, 1776.
- "Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without government, I should not hesitate to prefer the latter" Thomas Jefferson, 1787.
- "...I believe that an independent, aggressive and informed press is the surest single guarantee of democracy in the United States." Norman Chandler, 1966.
Evolution of Los Angeles (or, L. A. Grows): This is a relief mural on the Broadway side of the Los Angeles Times parking structure (Broadway and 2nd Street), which depicts the history of Southern California.
The mural includes several statements by Los Angeles notables:
Do not reproduce information from this site without acknowledgement of the artists and their works, or of the authors of this site.
- "...I believe that Los Angeles is destined to become the most important city in this country, if not in the world." Henry F. Huntington, 1920
- "Los Angeles...and all of southern california is destined to become the greatest metropolitan area the world has ever known." Otis Chandler, 1901(?)
- "...More than any other city, the greatness of Los Angeles must be attributed to the ingenuity of its people." Mayor Tom Bradley, 1980.
Back to Historic Core of Los Angeles
Photos taken by Ruth Wallach
Page maintained by Ruth Wallach, USC Libraries
2/1998, updated 6/2007, 1/2008