On May 17, 1851, newspaper publishing began in Los Angeles when the first issue of the La Estrella de Los Angeles was printed in a small two-story frame house fronting Los Angeles Street. The bilingual weekly paper had four 18" x 24" pages, two of which were in Spanish and two were in English. The newspaper moved the following year to the site on Main Street memorialized by the State of California plaque.
In 1852, the Star published a series of 22 articles written by Hugo Reid, a Scottish immigrant living in present day Baldwin Park. These articles, which are the most comprehensive and thorough ethnographic portrait of the Native Americans of Los Angeles County, exposed their plight at the twilight of their existence.
During the Civil War, the newspaper espoused succession and the Southern cause and finally in October, 1864, it ceased publishing. The printing press was sold to Phineas Banning, who used it to publish the Wilmington Journal. Later, the press was used to publish Orange County's first newspaper, the Anaheim Gazette.
In 1868, the Star began publishing again. During the 1870s, the Star went through a series of owners until 1879, when it went bankrupt and ceased publishing for good.
The text has been provided courtesy of Michael Several, Los Angeles, December 1997.
Back to Civic Center and Los Angeles Mall.