Photograph provided courtesy of the Regional History Center, University of Southern California. It comes from the collection of the Title Insurance and Trust Company, Los Angeles.|
The following information is provided on reverse: First built of adobe about 1849 and rebuilt in exactly its present form in the late 50's (?) Third story added 1869. Many notables of the time, inlcuding Secretary Steward of Lincoln's cabinet stopped there, and General Fremont always made it his headquarters when "in the south."